Monday, November 20, 2006

The Belt of Truth Part 2: Identifying and Dealing with Lies

The Belt of Truth Part Two:

Identifying and Dealing with Lies


The following is taken directly from my YWAM notes with the occasional rewording for clarity. The speaker who gave us this teaching was Mike Phillips. My heartfelt thanks go out to him for being so instrumental in helping me overcome a lot of this stuff.


To give some context, the stuff after each word is what lies in that sort of form would look like. I might also add an aside on my own, those will go in [square brackets like this]


4 Rulers in our Lives.

1) Heart lies:

A) Shame -> It's always my fault, I deserve to be punished. I'm an idiot, I should've known better.

    B) fear -> you feel that certain thing swill happen or not happen to you no matter what.

    C) abandonment -> I'm always going to be alone. I will always be rejected.

    D) I will not be loved -> I must earn love, I cannot be loved, I must not hope for love.

    E) I don't need anyone -> I can't trust anyone, I don't like asking anyone to help me.

    F) powerless lie -> I cannot control anything, nothing will ever change in my life.

    G) tainted lie -> I will never be clean

    H) hopeless lie -> why bother? Nothing will ever work. Question: why are you so special that you'll be the only one the truth won't work for?

-> Destructive habits come from lies. Lies prevent us from closeness with God or others.

2) Vows (often based on lies)

-> a decision to go in a certain direction, ie. “no ones ever going to hurt me again”

-> scripture says “every vow will be fulfilled.”

-> more examples: “I will never trust anyone.” “I will never feel again.” “I won't trust myself again.” “I will always fail.”

-> these vows and lies we believe give satan power!

-> people will turn into what we fear. For example, women that were abused as children often end up being abused in their marrige relationship. [There is a spiritual power behind these vows that I don't fully understand. I trust that Mike Phillips knows what he was talking about though. I do know based on my limited experience that spiritual war is a reality and should not be ignored]


3) Judgements

      -> there is a difference between evaluating if something is wrong and condemning people

      because they do something

      -> You will become what you judge!

4) Unforgiveness

-> bitterness is getting even with people that aren't there.

[I cannot emphasize this one point enough, Mike didn't talk about it as much as I thought he

should've (either that or I didn't take good notes). Unforgiveness gives satan tremendous power.

Unforgiveness plauges our society, and satan rejoices. Scripture speaks very strongly against

unforgiveness, in Matthew 18:21-35 contains the parable of the unforgiving servant. I will copy

it from biblegateway.com so you guys can read it:]


21Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?"

22Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.[f]

23"Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand talents[g] was brought to him. 25Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt.

26"The servant fell on his knees before him. 'Be patient with me,' he begged, 'and I will pay back everything.' 27The servant's master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go.

28"But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii.[h] He grabbed him and began to choke him. 'Pay back what you owe me!' he demanded.

29"His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, 'Be patient with me, and I will pay you back.'

30"But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. 31When the other servants saw what had happened, they were greatly distressed and went and told their master everything that had happened.

32"Then the master called the servant in. 'You wicked servant,' he said, 'I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33Shouldn't you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?' 34In anger his master turned him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.

35"This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother from your heart."

[basically, if you do not forgive someone when they ask for your forgiveness you are placing

yourself under a curse. It is that simple. Unforgiveness will destroy you and those around you.

Learn to give up your pride, humble yourself, and CHOOSE to forgive people when they ask

for it. That doesn't mean you immediately stop being angry, but you CHOOSE to stop letting

that anger affect how you treat them. That does not mean you forget what they did to you.

Forgiving someone that abused you does not mean that you place yourself in a situation where

you could be abused again. Forgiving is... Okay, I know this seems instant to you guys, but

I've spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure out how to say what forgiveness is in a way that

makes sense and is applicable. I finally decided to go to an outside resource, and I think

bible.com has a pretty good way of putting it: “When God forgives us, He no longer holds our

sins against us. Therefore, we don't have the right to hold others' sins against them--not if we

belong to Jesus. If we belonged to the world, we could indulge in bitterness, but the blood-

bought child of a merciful King has no such right.” and then “The best way to be rid of bearing

a grudge against someone, is to confess it to the Lord and seek His help. Then, begin to pray for

that person as if you were praying for yourself.” Thats the best I can come up with. Hopefully

thats helpful to you guys.]


How To Deal with the Lies

A) Confession -> confess it as YOUR lie. Do not place blame on others. Believing in something untrue is a sin, so it needs to be confessed.

B) Renounce -> We have to CHOOSE to unbeileve the lie.

-> We do this by making a spiritual act of renouncing it. We have to want it to be gone.

-> When we renounce the lie, its broken.

C) Forgive -> Forgive those that did things to you that helped you buy into that lie. Do not hold it against them or you're back at the whole unforgiveness problem.

D) Hear God -> ask God how He sees you, and what He thinks. If there is a specific memory tied to a lie, think back to it and ask God what he thinks about that situation.


Thats all I have guys. Hopefully this is a help to you.


-Ricky Isaak AKA Yoda.

No comments: