Monday, November 20, 2006

Do Something

Do Something


Jesus' last words to his disciples included this command: Matthew 28:19-20


“go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.”


Being a Christian is not about believing in Jesus and then sitting around and doing nothing. We are to do something. What this looks like for each person individually, I don't know. I think part of what I'm called to do is write these devotionals in the hope that what wisdom God has given me will be of some help for you. Each person has a different job.


I can't remember which speaker said this... But I heard this one time: “God has made you to do something that no one else but you can do.”


God has made you who you are. Now, some of what you are now is corrupted by the world and by sin, and so one of the prayers I pray often is “God, make me into the man you have made me to be.”


There is this divide between who we've been made to be, and what we are. Part of this divide results in us getting complacent, or thinking “I can't do anything well... I'll just leave evangelism and that kinda stuff to someone else.”


You can impact someone in a way no one else can, you can influence someone else in a way no one else can, you can show someone else the love of Christ in a way no one else can.


Do something.


God did not make you to sit around on your butt and leave the work he made specifically for you to someone else (Ephesians 2:10).


Rather than rant on endlessly I'm going to let some other people speak for me. This is what the head of DRIME (www.drime.com) wrote in a recent newsletter:


I do not want to waste my life.

My month in Kenya this past summer served as a poignant reminder of what life is truly about. As we met our new Kenyan DRIME leaders and spent time with our three DRIME Ambassadors; as we ministered alongside Pastor Timothy and saw many people give their lives to Christ, I was reminded, once again, of how short life is and that I desperately want to maximize every moment of it.

I am grateful to be surrounded by people – team leaders, DRIME members, fellow missionaries, DRIME supporters – who share this passion: to make our lives count for eternity and to cease our love affair with the things of this world.

I have been given time and money for a reason. I have been given health and strength so I can do something with it. I have been given resources, ideas, friends, and a team – not so that I can boast in what I have, but so that I can give it all back to the One to Whom it all belongs.

As John Piper* so passionately puts it:
“…May it, Lord, be this: that even if it costs our lives, the people will be glad in God…Take Your honoured place, O Christ, as the all-satisfying Treasure of the world. With trembling hands before the throne of God, and utterly dependent on Your grace, we lift our voice and make this solemn vow: `As God lives and is all I ever need, I will not waste my life…”

May you seek to live an un-wasted life in honor of our King.

Blessings,

Tanya (Steinhilber) Price

*”Don't Waste Your Life” (pg. 189)”

You might have no clue what to do... I've felt like that, I still feel like that sometimes. You need to know there is something you can do, something that God has specifically in mind for you. Pray about it a lot and try stuff out, God will show you where He wants you.

You might ask “but what about someone thats totally paralyzed? What can they do?” they can pray. Everyone can do something. Everyone can do their best to live out a life of love and be an inspiration to those around them. Please don't take that example as an excuse to say “well, I'll just pray then.” Pray about it, and see what God calls you to, and do that.

I'm going to finish with the lyrics from one of my favorite songs, its by Switchfoot and it's titled “This Is Your Life.”


Yesterday is a wrinkle on your forehead
Yesterday is a promise that you've broken
Don't close your eyes, don't close your eyes,


This is your life, are you who you want to be?
This is your life, are you who you want to be?
This is your life, is it everything that you dreamed
that it would be when the world was younger,
and you had everything to lose?


This is your life
And today is all you've got now
And today is all you've ever had
Don't close your eyes

This is your life, are you who you want to be?
This is your life, are you who you want to be?
This is your life, is it everything that you dreamed
that it would be when the world was younger,
and you had everything to lose?

Yesterday is a kid in the corner
Yesterday is dead and over

This is your life, are you who you want to be?
This is your life, are you who you want to be?


God bless


-Ricky/Yoda



Feel free to forward this to friends or family you think would like it. If you get this as a forward and want to be added to the list e-mail me at yoda.at.stillwood@gmail.com (those are periods between the words yoda at stillwood)


I have a website where I have posted my old devotionals:


http://www.freewebs.com/yoda0017/index.htm

No comments: